May 19, 2021
10 Simple Ways to Leave a Legacy to Future Generations
By Julia Van Huizen
A few years ago I was walking in downtown Toronto when I stopped in front of its university. There, in front of me, was a statue that my brother and sister-in-law had created.
My brother and sister-in-law are full-time artists. A rarity these days. But as luck—or more specifically, talent—would have it, they have created amazing 30-foot statues for hospitals, parks, libraries, and (as I was seeing now), universities as well. And it struck me: how cool was that—that long after they’re gone, their work will live on and bring enjoyment to many others.
You and I may not have massive monuments of art to leave for future generations, and that's okay. I’ve come to realize that we don’t always have to leave something big. It’s more important to be intentional about how we spend our time, talents and money.
Here are a few simple things you can do that can have a lasting impact on future generations:
- Pass down family recipes: There’s something about sharing a meal that connects people. And that connection feels even stronger when you cook together, using recipes that former generations shared with you.
- Write down your story: Did you run away to become an actress? Got married at nineteen? Your stories are a glimpse into the past, giving future generations stories that they can then pass along to others.
- Create photo albums: Photo albums jog memories and give a sense of belonging to a family. These albums could be keepsakes that get passed down from generation to generation.
- Create a tradition: It’s pretty cool to love family traditions and then pass those down to your children, knowing the tradition may go on for years to come.
- Share a skill: When you share a skill, you’re sharing techniques that could last for someone’s entire lifetime!
- Share your passion: Passion is contagious! Sharing your love for jogging, for example, could spur your friend or family member to get in shape themselves and then be an example to others.
- Share your wisdom: Your life experience is priceless. If you share your pearls of wisdom with others, you could change their life for the better!
- Mentor someone: Is there a brand-new mom in your neighbourhood? Or a boy whose dad died recently? You could help fill in the gaps, being a positive influence for good in their lives.
- Share your money: You can’t take your money with you when you die. So why not join a Legacy Program, leaving a financial gift in your Will to your favourite charities. It can feel great, knowing you’re bringing support to people well after you’re gone!
- Share your faith: Sharing your faith in Jesus could change someone’s life forever, not only now, but for eternity! Talk about a legacy!
You DO have something to share for future generations! Remember, it doesn’t have to be big. The important thing is remembering to be intentional TODAY so it can affect the future generation’s TOMORROW.
You can help ensure future generations receive ongoing hope and encouragement. By giving an end-of-life financial gift to UCB Canada’s Legacy-Giving program, you can feel good knowing that people will continue to receive support through UCB even after you’re gone! Learn how you can leave a gift in your Will by signing up for a confidential and complimentary estate plan service with Advisors with Purpose.