Fallback Album Art
Gospel Song
Rhett Walker

February 13, 2021 · Bob Gass

Don’t obsess over the future 

“Don’t be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time.” Matthew 6:34 TLB 

LISTEN 0:00 / 0:00
The story is told of a clock that spent a great deal of time worrying about its future, reasoning that it had to tick twice each second. “How much ticking might that be?” the clock thought. So it began to calculate that it would tick 120 times each minute, which is 7,200 times each hour. That meant in a twenty-four-hour day it would have to tick 172,800 times, and 63,072,000 times every year. By this time, the clock began to get overwhelmed and sweat profusely. Finally, it calculated that in a ten-year period, it would have to tick 630,720,000 times—and at that point the clock collapsed with a nervous breakdown. Psychologists reckon that about 95 percent of all we worry about never happens. What about the other 5 percent? Four out of five times, things turn out better than we anticipated, including a lot of outright blessings! In the end, only 1 percent of all the bad we think might happen actually does, and of this it’s rarely as bad as we feared. That’s why Jesus said, “Don’t be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. Live one day at a time.” The apostle Peter gave us the right perspective to live by in these words: “Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully” (1 Peter 5:7 AMPC). So the word for you today is—don’t obsess over the future.

Bible in a year - Leviticus 1-3 and Matthew 24:1-28

The Word for You Today is authored by Bob and Debby Gass and published under licence from Celebration Enterprises, Inc. Copyright © 2021